WILLIAMS BAY — With the future of the Yerkes property still undecided, the debate reminded many of us of the years prior to 2005 when the facility was still a working observatory operated by the University of Chicago.
These photographs are from a shoot in May of 1992 for The Week, where we toured the workshop as astronomers worked on new tools for the 40-inch refractor telescope to peer even deeper into space.
The Observatory was dedicated on October 21, 1897, and at the time it was the home of the worlds largest refracting telescope. More history is HERE.
More photos below.