LGFD photo

LAKE GENEVA — Grilling season got off to a disasterous start for one Lake Geneva resident after authorities say improperly disposed of charcoal from a grill led to a house fire.

“Due to multiple calls for service we had apparatus on the road, were able to quickly respond, bring this fire under control, and minimize damage,” Chief John Peters was quoted as saying in a news release.

The Lake Geneva Fire Department was called out abvout 3:30 p.m. Sunday for the report of a house fire on Walworth Street.

The first units arrived within 3 minutes to find a working structure fire with fire present on the exterior of the attached garage and extending into the house.

Aggressive offensive suppression efforts were initiated, according to a news release from the Lake Geneva Fire Department.

The fire was quickly brought under control and damage was limited to the exterior of the attached garage and the adjoining roof soffit.

The cause of the fire was determined to be improper disposal of barbeque grill coals. No criminal activity is suspected and no njuries were reported.

Peters reminds residents to properly dispose of coals. Allow the ashes to cool for at least 48 hours before disposal in a non-combustible container. If you cannot wait 48 hours, carefully place coals individually in a can of sand or bucket of water.

Town of Delavan, Town of Linn, Town of Lyons, and Elkhorn Fire Departments responded to the initial alarm.

By Staff Report

Walworth County Community News